Sunday, May 22, 2011

Degrees of Roast and Rube Goldberg Roasting Contraptions

Good day to you all . . .

I'll be roasting next this coming Monday (President's Day for those who want to raise a glass to Abe and George), then delivering and shipping on Tuesday the 22nd. Please send us your orders by Sunday night to be sure of getting your favorites for this week. Coffee selections for this time around are on the website (www.freeportcoffee.com).

We've also got a few bags from Monday's roasting (specifically Sulawesi, Road Trip, Brazil, Guat and a tasty SWP Brazil decaf) if you need something before then.

I was surfing around the vast coffee library at Sweet Maria's (always a nice source of inspiration when I am looking for something new to tell you all about coffee), and I came across Tom's excellent update on the transformation of coffee from green beans to different degrees of roast. I think this is really useful in understanding what it means when you consider whether to drink a light or medium or dark roasted coffee:

But what I was really looking for was this awesome collection of homemade roasting apparatuses. Its completely possible to spend next to nothing on a "roaster" and get excellent coffee from it (I bought my Westbend Poppery 2 at a garage sale for a quarter), but you have to one who likes to experiment. Check these out and see what the inventive among us have done with dog bowls, shop vacs, backyard grills, electric fans, colanders, frying pans, old tin cans, window fans, odds and ends and bric a brac.

Then go raid the attic and see what you can come up with. To make it easy on you, if you'd like to try your hand at home roasting, let me know the next time you order, and I'll throw in some green coffee for you.

Oh, and I also have a bunch of jute and burlap coffee bags - let me know if you'd like a few (or if you'd like them all).

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Kent